Monday, August 18, 2014

Phase 3: Unexpected (aka Expensive) Problems

Here we are at the start of Week 4: 


kitchen remodeling
Check out my new beadboard in the breakfast nook! (You may have to squint a bit.)
Thankfully, we seem to have skated through Phase 3 with our financials still intact. While there were a few unexpected problems, which I asked Old House Magician to refer to as challenges, nothing too expensive popped up, and certainly nothing that couldn't be fixed. I probably just jinxed myself.

This biggest snafu (what a fun word!) involved our counter top vendor. My salesperson has been great. Friendly, responsive, happy to take my 50% deposit with the promise the granite guy would call in a couple of days to schedule a time to make the template. Five days and two follow up phone calls later ... crickets. 

So, Old House Magician got on the horn. You don't mess with the OHM and his schedule. Turns out, the granite guy had been canned because of ... wait for it ... his unresponsive approach with customers. Oops! 

Before I could get too nervous, I received a phone call from Mike at Rocktops. Apparently, our vendor recently started contracting work with his company, and he was set to send out someone the next morning to get the job done. Jess appeared on my doorstep promptly at 8:30 a.m., and the remodeling train started chugging along. Whew! 

Phase 4 (click here for my six phases of home improvement), better known as "I Don't Care If It's Not Done. I'm Ready for These People to Get Out of My House." reared it's ugly head one day last week. But I kept it together. 


Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.

No comments:

Post a Comment