Friday, January 1, 2016

A Book on the Brink of Censorship? Or: The Inappropriate Book I Read to the Peeps this Christmas

One of things the peeps and I do together that I absolutely love is read. In the past few months, we've read several books from the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series by Rick Riordan and Serafina by Robert Beatty (a great Halloween read). I read aloud, and they snuggle with me or draw (more and more they choose to draw. Sad face.)

For the holidays, we read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson together. I reread this story for the first time in ages a couple of years ago and posted about it then. You can read that post here.

I decided to read it again this year, this time with the peeps, because of an article I saw on Facebook written by a teacher who said he stopped reading the book to his students because it talked about kids smoking cigars, lighting fires, bullying other children among other frowned upon behaviors. The teacher was concerned he would draw the ire of parents. The article made me so sad that I promptly pulled it out of our stash of Christmas-related books and gathered the peeps on the ol' king-sized bed..

They loved it! They giggled and belly laughed at the Herdman's antics, and couldn't believe the kids could get away with all the naughty things they did. Despite my reading the book and making it sound just absolutely delicious, I don't think my sweet angels will start smoking cigarettes, become young arsonists or bully others. (Or will they?) They took the book at face value: a bunch of silly fun with a subliminal story about Jesus (and a little lesson about the The Christmas Story never hurt anyone.) 

(Yes, this post comes a little past the holidays. I intended to post it a few days ago and do a New Year's post today. Technical issues, a New Year's Eve slumber party and an afternoon of Star Wars with my three favorite people meant a new entry would have to wait.)

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.


No comments:

Post a Comment