Sunday, November 17, 2019

Fire Hydrants & Snacks in the Stairwell: How I'm Paying Closer Attention


The Art of Noticing. The o in Noticing is illustrated as an eye.
Image Source: Goodreads.com
I don't remember how I came across The Art of Noticing by Rob Walker, but I knew immediately I needed to add it to my reading list. The title and  description spoke to a quality I used to possess, one I liked and now miss. I used to be an astute observer of my surroundings, noticing the tiniest discrepancies, mannerisms and changes in people and places. I was a noticer. 

Over the years, that's changed. While I make every effort to avoid pinning the popular "Busy Badge of Honor" to my cardigan, life has a way of whipping me into a frenzy sometimes, and I live my days in a blur. I hate it. 

"The Art of Noticing" reminded me there's some really cool things taking place in the spaces right in front of, behind, above and below me, if I'll only take a couple of minutes to notice them. For the first time in a while, I felt my brain digging into a big plate of some intelligent food for thought. 

Infrathin, Intraordinary and Halfalogues
The book is divided into five sections: Looking, Sensing, Going Places, Connecting With Others and Being Alone (my favorite section), each with their own ideas for practicing the art of noticing. There's something for bosses, introverts, extroverts, adults and kids. 

My three favorite concepts from the book are: infrathin, intraordinary and halfalogues. I'll let you do the research. After reading this book, I find myself looking and listening for infrathins everywhere I go. Two of my favorite examples, at least I think they are examples, are: 

1) The tapping sound a keyboard key makes right when you touch it
2) The subtle whooshing sound paper makes when you turn the page of a book. 

Pick One Thing to Notice
One of the book's challenges involves focusing your attention on one object. For Rob, it was the location of security cameras in a city he was familiar with. He wanted to find a way to see the city differently. 

I picked two objects: 
1) Fire hydrants. I chose to focus my attention on fire hydrants after observing that the only one on my street had been buried under dirt and rubble by the construction crews that are widening the street. Now, I notice the placement and color of fire hydrants everywhere I go. 

2) Dropped food in a stairwell. There's a particular employee stairwell at work that on any given day has bits of dropped and forgotten food. I've noticed  bacon, smashed popcorn and purple grapes, to name just a few foods. I'm obsessed to the point I've started taking pics. 

If you're interested in learning more, check out the book. It's a pretty quick read. Rob also has an e-newsletter he sends every so often. In fact, he sends so rarely that I actually get it excited when it pops up in my Inbox. Subscribe to his email here.

What little bits of life have you noticed lately? Nothing's too small, too big, too weird or too dull. Share in the comments, please!

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing  ... Keep It Real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment