Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Meet My New Friend: Walthur P22

A few months back, Mark and I started talking about buying a firearm. Mostly for a hobby, something new to do together, but also for home protection. (Side note: I really liked the idea after I saw Bree and Katherine taking target practice on "Desperate Housewives.") We decided to wait until after the holidays, but in the interim Mark did the research, including stopping into a local gun shop to inquire as to what all is involved. The store is owned by Jim and Sharon, a husband and wife team. Jim is a retired police officer who still trains officers, and Sharon is a tough pistol-packin' momma who makes novices feel comfortable and at ease. They suggested I come in to get a feel for the different types of firearms available. I did and knew as soon as I picked up the .22, it was the piece for me. We bought it last week.

Today, Mark took a 1/2 day comp from work, and we had ourselves a little date. Lunch at Chipotle, ammunition shopping at Wal-mart, and a firearm safety course at the gun shop. We had the opportunity to fire several rounds, and I must say, I rather enjoyed myself. It took me a few rounds to get my aim down, but by the end of our session, I was feeling pretty proud of myself and lovin' every minute of it (Sorry, Loverboy. I stole your lyrical line). At one point, I called "eyeball" on our "bad guy" target and actually nailed the dude in the left eye! A proud moment for me.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not. Outside of a BB gun, I had never handled a firearm. I thought I would be nervous about shooting a gun, but the weird thing was it felt rather natural. Like I was meant to do it. It is also a strange feeling to know that when holding a loaded gun, you have the power and potential to fatally harm another human being. Something not to be taken lightly.

On another note, it's been a long time since I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something new. It's a great feeling. Today, I felt a little bit of the old me peeking through. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment