Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mommy Who?

The girls had their first full day of Montessori today. The morning was going well until we got out of the car and reached the door of the center. Audrey surprised me. She waltzed right through the door and down the hall as if she were an old pro. Ruthie, uncharacteristically, hung back a bit and I had to coax her into the school. But by the time Ruthie and I rounded the corner, Audrey was back ... and bawling. Apparently, she suddenly realized this was one of those time when she stayed and mommy left. I put on my game face, got them settled, and high-tailed it out of there.

One oil change, Wal-mart browse, Home Depot paint stop, and home decor store stroll later, I returned. Ok, it was seven hours. Seven whole hours of solitude. Pure bliss. Don't get me wrong, I was ready to see the girls. You can't spend that much time with anyone and not wonder what they are up to when you are separated. During my absence, Ruthie and Audrey had discovered their versions of toddler heaven (Ruthie=live rabbit; Audrey = exercise trampoline). In fact, the girls who fretted over my leaving this morning weren't about to leave with me this afternoon.

The instant she saw me, Ruthie smiled. "Hi, Mommy!" she yelled across the room. She danced around, gesticulating wildly until she was able to shout, "BUNNY!" and toddled back over to check on Peter the Rabbit. No joke. That was his name. "JUMP! JUMP!" Audrey hollered, politely pushing away the poor chump who tried to take his turn on the great bouncing machine. It took a good 10 minutes to corral them and get their coats on.

And here I was worried they wouldn't like school. They barely remembered me when I popped back in this afternoon. That's how I know sending the girls to school was the perfect decision for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment