Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Runnin' Down A Dream

(Title credit to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

So, it's been awhile since I've blogged. Almost two months. Time flies, that's what folks say. In those two months, the girls have transitioned to big girl beds, which meant we had to revamp their room. "Had to " might a little strong. "Wanted to" is more appropriate. Pastel yellows and pinks intermingled with bright greens and brighter pinks. Flowers and butterflies. Spring and summer mushed into one. I get happy every time I walk into their room. I think they feel the same. We've also been to Omaha for vacation. A spectacular city when you are in need of a quick getaway.

I'm still plugging away at the master's degree and still hunting for the elusive teaching job. Stupid economy. As hard as it is not to take it personally, some days I still do. I get that "No one wants me" feeling that I'm sure millions of people have right now. I just try to keep it all in perspective. Right now, the plan is to sub three days a week, cherish my unexpected time with the peeps, work on my master's, and perhaps tackle some writing projects.

Speaking of writing, that brings us to the reason behind this blog's title. A friend of mine, Jennifer Brown, is on the verge of "runnin' down"one of her dreams: a published book! Her YA novel, "Hate List," will scream onto the store shelves in September. I cannot wait to get my hands on it! (Pre-order at Amazon.com. Shameless plug.) The early reviews have been positive. The rave for this book is on!

One of the reasons I am so excited about the arrival of "Hate List" (other than the fact that Jen is a good egg and all good eggs deserve good fortune) is that it represents a departure from the norm for her. She is known for her humorous writing. Wait. Strike that. Humorous is so not the right word. HILARIOUS writing. KNEE-SLAPPINGLY FUNNY writing. CHUCKLE CHUCKLE, GIGGLE GIGGLE, SNORT writing. Yeah, she's that good. She has this uncanny knack for shining a light on the most mundane of life's experiences. But "Hate List" isn't funny. It's a serious look at a serious situation. Jen took a risk. She jumped out of the box and followed her writer's instinct. To me, people who do that are the real deal.

Check out Jennifer's website. While you are there, join her weekly Love List Tuesday contest for chance to be a Grab Bag Winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment