Wednesday, August 12, 2009

No Giving Up, No Giving In

Today is Day 12 of the WFMAD Challenge, and I haven't missed a single writing session. I am so proud of myself for sticking to it. I've had quite a bit of fun with the daily prompts that Laurie provides. I've used them to develop a character and a story that I wasn't sure had strong legs. I've put my character in a situation with someone who brings out the worst in her, I've explored her fears, and I've put her in a situation in which she makes horrible choices with devastating consequences (that one was fun to write!). If the only thing I get out of this experience is that I create a new habit of writing everyday, then I'm ok with that. It just feels good to do it. It feels great to be back in the groove again. I feel alive for the first time in a long while.

I'm a tad bummed because I really wanted to try today's writing prompt, but the opportunity just didn't present itself. Our task was to eavesdrop on a conversation and write down what the participants said, with the goal of getting us to think about dialogue and it's role in a story. I spent the first half of my morning alone, painting the master bath trim. The second half of the day I spent prepping for my upcoming sub job. I worked with two teachers who provided much fodder for eavesdropping and dialogue. They work so well together that they don't even need to speak in complete sentences to communicate. Real life dialogue. But, I couldn't exactly whip out my writer's notebook and start taking notes. So, I'll have to save that experience for another day.

Yesterday, the girls started a new "school" (read: daycare), so I had the whole day to myself. The first in many months. A much needed break. I felt like a bachelorette again. I splurged on my first Starbuck's Mocha Frappuchino at Wal-mart and took my time strolling the aisles looking at everything and nothing. I bought an orange clipboard for $2. Not sure why, but it beckoned to me across the aisle, and I just had to have it. Lunch was an instant peanut noodle meal from A Taste of Asia (or something). Fill the carton with water, add powdered concoctions and noodles, nuke it, and wa-la: magic food. Reminded me so much of my days as a single gal.

I'm curious to see if I will be able to hold up my end of the WFMAD bargain with both classroom teaching and grad classes starting. I honestly don't know what will happen. I know I haven't been this excited about anything for awhile. Hopefully that excitement will be enough to keep me motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment