Friday, January 21, 2011

Ideal Reality Vs. Real Reality: Another Literary Definition

If you've ever read the quote at the top of my blog, you know it relates to the struggle of desiring a life of ideal reality while having to accept a life of real reality. I love the quote because, to me, it defines a struggle that I imagine most of us battle daily.

I just started reading Steve Martin's book, The Pleasure of My Company,  and found this:

"Her  mind is being overwhelmed by two processes that must simultaneously proceed at full steam. One is to deal with and live in the present world. The other is to re-experience and mourn something that happened long ago. It is as though her lightness pulls her toward heaven, but the extra gravity around her keeps her earthbound." Wow. Yep. Ideal vs. Real.

3 comments:

  1. I just began The Pleasure of My Company, based on your post and I am loving it. Wish I had a few uninterrupted hours. Might take me longer to get through it, but I am really enjoying it so far. :)

    ReplyDelete