Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Real Reality: Joplin, MO

An F4 tornado churned through Joplin, Missouri, Sunday afternoon. The destruction is so overwhelming that I can't look at the flood of pictures and videos coming out of the scene for more than a few minutes at a time. I can't imagine what it is like for the people who are living through this nightmare. At last count, 117 people died. Thankfully, all my family is ok.

In the Midwest, spring tornadoes are real reality.

My dad grew up on the outskirts of Joplin. His brother and sisters and most of their families still live there. I spent countless summers at my grandma's house in Oronogo, a teeny tiny map spot about six miles from Joplin. One of my heart memories is the Friday night trip into "town" so my grandma could do her grocery shopping.

This is what's left. http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2073456,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment