Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tiger Mother or Nutty Coconutty?

I'm fairly selective about the books I read. I usually don't buy into all the hype that surrounds some books, and I rarely read the books that everyone and their brother is reading. I'm kind of snobby that way. I have this weird belief that if everyone and their brother is reading a certain book, then it's probably not that good. I rely on the discerning tastes of my bibliophilic friends who have never disappointed me. At the very least, I wait until the frenzy and froth subsides away. That's not to say that I haven't made exceptions. Here is one of them.
I first heard about Amy Chua and Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother on NPR a couple of months ago. I just started reading it this week. Just a few chapters in, Chua had me vacillating between wanting to punch her in the head (Chua REALLY likes herself to the point that it's completely annoying), thinking she may be on to something, and wondering if she was just plain nutty. Regardless, I can't stop reading. I find myself in "horrific car accident, but can't look away" mode.


No comments:

Post a Comment