Sunday, July 24, 2011

Choose Seven Days

I just finished reading I, Lorelai, by Yeardley Smith. It's a YA novel about an 11-year-old girl, Lorelai, who decides to keep a diary after her beloved cat, Mud, dies. She writes directly to Mud, sharing her concerns about her parents constant arguing, the challenges of evolving friendships, the trials and tribulations of being Tiger Lily in her middle school's version of Peter Pan, and the excitement a first boyfriend brings. It's a truly sweet book.

After I finished, one passage in particular stayed with me. In her diary, Lorelai writes about a game she used to play with her grandpa before he died.

He would say, "Lorelai, if you could relive seven days of your life, which would they be?" Then he'd give me sixty seconds to decide.
That got me wondering about what days I would choose. Here's what I came up with. It wasn't easy, and it look me longer than sixty seconds! And, as life goes on, my list will change.

  1. I would love to relive just one day with my mother. Any day before she got sick. Even the day on which she dumped a bowl of Quaker oatmeal on my head out of frustration.
  2. The day I flew out of the U.S. for the very first time. 
  3. The day I spent exploring Venice, Italy, on  my own.
  4. The day I bought my first house. All on my own. It was a great little bachelorette pad!
  5. My first date with Mark. We went swingdancing! Well ... HE swingdanced. I just giggled and made a fool of myself.
  6. My post-wedding/pre-honeymoon camping trip with Mark. Perfecto!
  7. The night the peeps arrived, and I heard them both screaming with life. In those two minutes, I knew they were both healthy.
Your turn! Give me your seven days!

No comments:

Post a Comment