Monday, April 14, 2014

Coffeehouse Conversation: You Look Normal


Sometimes I'll grab my laptop and venture out of  my house to do some writing. The occasional change of scenery boosts brainstorming and productivity. One recent Friday morning, I went to a local coffeehouse, ordered some sort of mocha something or other and perched myself on one of the stools at a high table. 

As I settled in, a man in his late 50s/early 60s began chatting me up. He sported a black leather cap that was pulled down over his eyes, and for some reason he reminded me of Andy Capp. He sat down at the six-seater table next to me and explained he was saving the table for a local mom’s group that apparently meets there each Friday morning.

"Are you with that group?" he asked.

"No," I replied.

"I didn't think so. You look normal."

I sort of grinned, all the while wondering what in the world that meant. I'll admit it. I got a little thrill from being considered as someone other than a mom. I know, shame on me. I love being a mom (Real Reality), but every once in awhile it's kind of exciting to be regarded in a different light (Ideal Reality). It's like having a secret identity that links me back to my time before I had kids.

Apparently, Andy Capp was a coffeehouse regular because he then showed me how to adjust the blinds to reduce the glare on  my screen, pointing out which blinds worked and which ones were broken. He also let me know that I could move my table a bit so I could lean against the wall if I wanted to, and then let me know the optimal places to sit to work throughout the coffeehouse.

Yep, I love venturing out from time to time. It reminds me how much I enjoy people watching and observing the world.

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.

No comments:

Post a Comment