Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Trick & Treat: Cookie Dough Hummus

I found this crazy easy kid-friendly hummus recipe in the April 2014 issue of Family Fun magazine. It looks just like chocolate chip cookie dough, and the taste is pretty close, too. One of my peeps loves it, and actually requests it for both her lunch box and her afternoon snack. The other peep is coming around. (OK, that's not exactly true. She's progressed from "This is gross" to cherry picking the chocolate chips. I'll take what I can get.)

In a food processor, blend: 

  • 1-1/2 cups chickpeas
  • 6 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (the recipe suggested natural, unsweetened, but choosy moms choose Jiff, so that's what I used)
  • 3 tablespoons oats
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda

Once it's blended, fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chips. 

Serve with fresh fruit!

*Personal note
I blend mine for quite awhile, and it still has a slightly gritty texture from the chickpeas. But the chocolate chips and fruit make it seem less so. Also, I think 1/4 cup peanut butter adds a bit too much pb flavor, so I'm going to cut it back slightly next time. (And maybe add a few more chocolate chips.)

And no, I haven't told the peeps they are eating beans. 

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing  ... Keep It Real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment