Monday, June 9, 2014

From Blog to Website: How Do I Know When I'm Ready to Make the Move?

My Ideal Reality

One of my professional goals this year is to create a website for my freelance editorial services. Here is it June, and I have yet to get started. I have ideas floating around, but haven't acted on many of them. Honestly, moving from a blog site to a web site seems a bit daunting.

Whenever I start looking into it, I begin to realize how much I don't know about converting a blog into a website. Never mind the whole website maintenance issue.Or host selection. Or design. I've seen some really fun designs, and I want to measure up. After all, visual appeal is what gets people in the door these days, right? And what about promoting it? Marketing is a whole other animal.

Before I make the leap, I want to be sure I truly need a website. It's a big commitment. Part of me thinks I should focus on building my client base a bit more before diving into this project. But part of me thinks it would be easier to build a client base if I had a website to promote. Chicken before the egg scenario.

To get things rolling, I took two baby steps. I updated my About Me page, and I created a Hire Me page on this blog. I know there are freelance gurus out there who would say this is a no-no. But, I'm going to try it. It's what makes sense to me right now. I've never been a bandwagon jumper, and sometimes I like to take the long way home. I'll make this work until I'm prepared to take the giant step.

What about you? How did you know when you were ready for your own website? And what one piece of advice would you give a website newbie?

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.

No comments:

Post a Comment