One of the peeps wanted a Lego Legends of Chima Laval box, but I couldn't find a Pinterest idea to steal, which meant my daughter and I had to get creative. If you've read any of my previous blogs, you know that the mere thought of the words "crafty" or "creative" makes me sweat.
However, we ended up with a pretty decent, not to mention original, box. It took very little time and very little money. Here's how we did it.
- Shoe box, any size. (We used a kids sneaker box.)
- Red feathers (1 package)
- White self-adhesive felt (I used one small rectangle.)
- Black self-adhesive felt (I used one small rectangle.)
- Tan felt (as many pieces needed to cover the front, sides and back of box; we used 3)
- Black Sharpie
- White paper (to wrap the box first)
- Sparkling gold self-adhesive foam sheets (2)
- Image of Laval's big ol' head for reference.
Create the box!
1. Wrap the shoe box in white paper to hide the original color. (As I'm typing this, I thinking you could probably just go ahead and glue the tan felt to the box and skip the wrapping.)
2. Stand the box on one end and cut a hole for the mouth.
3. Wrap a piece of tan felt around the sides and front of the box; cut the felt around the mouth opening.
4. Turn the gold foam sheet over and draw Laval's crown. Even if you are not an artist, which I am not, the crown is simple to draw.
5. Cut out the crown, remove the backing, and adhere it to the box as shown above.
6. Cut thin strips of black felt and adhere them to the crown to add a bit of definition, as shown above.
7. To create Laval's flaming red mane, adhere red feathers to the sticky side of the crown. Go ahead ... stick those feathers ... as many as you want. It's fun! (Life lesson learned the hard way: Save one red feather per sibling to avoid any potential meltdowns. If one kid has a feather, every kid wants one.)
8. Turn the white felt over and draw Laval's muzzle.
9. Cut out the muzzle and adhere it to the box, as show above; cut the felt around the mouth opening.
10. Cut itty bitty teen weeny teeth from the white felt. Apparently, you need four to make his dental work authentic.
11. Adhere the itty bitty teen weeny teeth to the inside of Laval's mouth.
12. Cut two white eyes from the felt and adhere them to the box in the appropriate places.
13. Cut a Laval-shaped nose out of the black felt and adhere it to the face. Again, in the appropriate place.
14. Draw eyebrows and pupils with the black Sharpie. (You could also cut them from the black felt, but I was way over cutting pieces from felt at this point.)
That's it! It took us approximately 45 minutes to create. Maybe less.
Be sure to check out the Lego Legends of Chima birthday party I threw last year!
Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.