Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Staying Whole in a World of Distractions

Staying Whole in a World of Distractions
I recently read Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Charles Lindbergh's wife and one of the first female aviators. 

Written more than 50 years ago, Anne's insights into life, especially a woman's life, hold so true today. Like this one:
"The problem is: how to remain whole in the midst of the distractions of life;how to remain balanced no matter what centrifugal forces tend to pull one off center; how to remain strong, no matter what shocks come in at the periphery and tend to crack the hub of the wheel."
How I long for simplicity many days. Fewer distractions. More peace. Quiet calm. The strength to command that peace. 

Anne wrote her book while secluded in a beach cottage. The longer she stayed, the more distractions fell away. And, she found she really didn't need to many "things" to live well. Sounds heavenly. It makes me wonder how I would fare in a similar situation. What things do I really need? 

for the longest time, I've been walking around with this odd searching feeling. Inside, I feel like I'm searching for something. Always looking here and there. Everywhere. But for what? What am I looking for? Everything I need is here with me. Am I wanting something more? Something different? Not stuff and things. But more of something unnameable and elusive. How I wish to feel settled inside just once. 

I'm sure that doesn't make much sense. I guess every once in a while, I want to feel whole in a world of too many distractions. 

Does anyone get it? 

Thanks for reading ... Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.

P.S. I learned about Gift From the Sea by reading The Aviator's Wife. I highly recommend both!

No comments:

Post a Comment