Wednesday, February 23, 2011

NPR Interview With a Libyan Protester

I've taken to listening to NPR lately. I love the voices of the different radio personalities. There is just something so soothing and comforting in those voices. I also love the interview questions they ask their guests. Whether it's an author, an expert, or a person-on-the-street, the questions are intelligent and they really try to get to the heart of the topic. 

I don't get too caught up international politics, but it's hard to ignore what's taking place in North Africa and the Middle East. I heard this interview yesterday with a 31-year-old protestor in Tripoli, Libya. His words have stayed in mind. If you have time, click Listen to the Story. During the interview, Ahmed made the statement that they [the Libyans] are just "fed up." He said it more than once. But it was his tone that made me catch my breath. I knew it was the truth. He was just DONE.  And I know from experience that humankind can take quite a bit and carry quite a burden, but when it has had enough, it has had enough. It was the resolve and determination in Ahmed's voice that made me think, "They can do this. They can break this government."

I hope I'm right ... especially because Ahmed and his wife have a baby on the way. Thoughts and prayers to you, Ahmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment