Monday, April 18, 2011

Pity Party - Over and Out

The pity party is over. I love how the space of a few days and a little reflection pulls things back into perspective for me. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, click here.

First, 110 people applied for the job, and only a handful were invited to interview. My husband offered this encouragment: "If there were over 100 applicants, you could be in the top 2% and still not get the job." That made me feel a little better.

Second, I came across one of Gretchen Rubin's (author of The Happines Project, one of my favorite books) personal commandments: Find the Fun in Failure. There is always a lesson to learn from failing. After a few days, I realized that the lesson I learned was not that I am a loser. (My catch phrase for a couple of days. I told you I had a pity party.) Instead, I learned I needed to brush up intergrating technology into the classroom, motivating students, and effectively communicating what I believe every English teacher needs to know in terms of content knowledge. I'll be ready for the next interview.

My gut feeling says there will be a next interview, and doors will open. They may not be the doors I expect and they may not open on my timetable, but I guess but that's the thrill of life, right? Onward and upward.

4 comments:

  1. You could never be a loser. You care too much. God's plan is at work in your life, I know. Unfortunately, for us "want to control the whole universe and beyond," it's hard not being privy to the whole plan. Big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO care too much, and sometimes I wonder if that alone makes me a loser in this world. Or maybe just a fool. Then, I stop and think about my good friends - including you - and how all of the people I consider genuinely genuine also care too much. And I know I am in good company and not a loser or a fool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand how you would feel this way. Rejection, no matter what the reason, is never an easy pill to swallow. It sounds like you are motivated to keep plugging away. The right window will swing wide open when it is the right time. I know waiting is not easy. My thoughts are with you! :)

    PS - LOVE LOVE LOVE The Happiness Project. Thanks for inspiring me in many areas, especially with what you read, my friend! :) Oh, I have something I'm mailing to you. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan: Thanks for reading! And I'm glad you like my book recommendations! I'm thrilled that I now have some time to read, read, read. I'll keep checking the mail!

    ReplyDelete