Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sisyphus

Overwhelmed.

I thrive on organization, structure, and routine. I used to be ashamed to say that, but I'm finally comfortable with that part of who I am. Right now, I don't have any of those things in place. For the past two weeks, I have felt like the Greek figure, Sisyphus, the guy whose eternal punishment was to roll a ginormous boulder up a hill over and over and over. It's been a rough two weeks, not just for me, but for the fam, too. Longer days, new routines, less time together. I just have to keep reminding myself that this feeling is temporary. Soon enough, I will uncover my classroom groove, and my family will adjust to our new routine. Deep breaths. Lots of patience. It will pass. Soon enough, my whole head will be above water instead of just my eyes and one nostril. Soon enough.

Here it is again: My Ideal Reality (getting a teaching job) suddenly became my Real Reality. Like many things in life, real reality rarely matches up with our ideal reality. That's ok. It keeps life interesting. I'm still enjoying being back in the classroom and teaching in a school where I think I can make a real difference.

Onward and upward!

Whatever you are up to these days (and I would LOVE to know. Hint: Comment, please!), keep it real.

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how excited I am that you are teaching again! Your students are so blessed to have you!! Order and routine are not far away from you, if just feels that way. In the immortal words of a philosophical fish," just keep swimming!"

    ReplyDelete