Monday, June 16, 2014

Project 2014: Mark Twain, I'm Just Not That Into You

slow no wake
This year, I decided my themed reading project would center around Mark Twain. You can read the story here

I started out strong, but here it is June and as you can tell by my progress (check out my Project 2014 page), it's been slow going. The first two volumes I picked out of our collection were short stories and clips. While some showcased Twain's clever brain and sharp, I had to force myself to make it through  most of them.  

I started reading Tom Saywer Abroad, but finally decided to ditch it. It just kept going on and on and on. Plus, I got sidetracked by The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley, which I read for a book club. Highly recommended.

Recently, I resurrected Twain from the book pile on my nightstand and read Tom Sawyer, Detective. Loved it! I just started reading The Innocents Abroad, and although I'm just a few chapters in, I think I'm going to enjoy it as well! 

What I'm discovering is that I don't care for Twain's shorter pieces, essays and commentaries as much as I do his novels. The shorter stories seem too disjointed, too rambly, too something that I can't quite put my finger on. I just can't get into them.

What's your favorite Twain piece? Why? Or are you not a fan? 

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.

No comments:

Post a Comment