Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Food Rules: Breaking Even?

water bottle, apple, plate with bowl of chili, pepperoni slices and spaghetti
Lunchtime

That's a picture of my lunch today. It's not a great picture because I was eating outside and I'm not a great photographer. It's a small bowl of canned chili leftover from the last time we had hot dogs (which was who knows when.) joined by side of leftover spaghetti, a few pepperonis slices, an apple and some water. 

You'll also notice a copy of Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan nestled on the table. I finished reading while eating lunch. It's a fantastically interesting read. You should check it out. It's a quick read, entertaining and informational This was the first book I've read by this author, and I loved his writing style. Easy going, yet authoritative. Perfect blend. 

The "rules" Pollan sets forth are completely reasonable common sense. For me, the book was the perfect refresher to kickstart my approach to food and my relationship with it. I highly recommend it, but you have to get the copy with the illustrations by Maira Kalman. Beautiful and timeless. Her illustrations complemented the book perfectly. 

Anyway, back to my lunch. Here's how I see it, at least for today. The chili and pepperoni are likely food rule breakers and the spaghetti is a slightly better option (but it wasn't whole wheat). But the apply and water? Totally followed the rules with those choices. So, I think I pretty much broke even. Right? At least, that's how it works in my Ideal Reality. (Seriously? I'm supposed to avoid cereal that changes the milk's color? The struggle is real. Fortunately, my milk-altering cereal binges are few and far between. I think that means I follow the Treat Treats as Treats rule.)

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.  

No comments:

Post a Comment