Sunday, August 29, 2021

Ideal Reality Vs. Real Reality: Anna Karenina

When I started this blog way back when, I did it on the premise of finding ways to reconcile my ideal reality with my real reality. 

I love it when I stumble on examples in the world. One of the books I'm reading right now is Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I love a good Russian lit drama, and this one does not disappoint.

Anna Karenina is cheating on her husband with Count Vronksy. And she's pregnant with his child. Yet, the excitement of a new (albeit illicit) relationship is wearing off. After the couple quarrels, Tolstoy writes,

"She placed both hands on his shoulders and gazed at him for a long time with a deep, rapturous and at the same time searching look. She studied his face to make up for the time in which she had not seen him. As at every meeting she was bringing together her imaginary idea of him (an incomparably better one, impossible in reality) with him as as he was." 

A perfect example of ideal reality vs. real reality ... and one that beautifully captures human nature. 

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.  

No comments:

Post a Comment