Tuesday, August 24, 2021

The Shingles Shot: Painfully Necessary

architecture, structure, window, glass, roof, wall, pattern, line, green, color, tile, colorful, yellow, material, circle, painting, shingle, art, design, symmetry, shape, house roof, flooring, dormer, shingle roof, roof shingles, Free Images In PxHere

I really don't feel like writing tonight, but I gotta keep the writing muscle flexed. So, this is a weird little post that serves that purpose. Remember, I'm writing just for me so I can write what I want when I want and how I want.

I celebrated 50 years on this planet in April. With this milestone comes many health-related musts, namely the shingles vaccine and a procedure that I don't want to talk about. 😁

First some backstory, just because. I had grown increasingly dissatisfied with the primary care provider I've seen for years. I'm pretty healthy overall, which means I'm a low-maintenance patient. If a doctor sees me twice in one year, that's a busy year. You'd think a doctor would love having me on their patient list, but mine actually seemed a little annoyed when I'd come in for my annual check up. She never asked me questions about lifestyle habits or offer advice and guidance. I felt like I was bothering her. So, I vowed to switch docs this year, and I followed through. I had to wait until August to get in with a new one, but it was well worth the wait. 

So, the shingles shot. It hurts like a mother. My right arm is so sore. It is also red and puffy around the injection site and several inches beyond. I Googled it and apparently, those are common side effects. And I know the shot is way less painful than getting shingles, but man it hurts! And, I have to get a second dose in 2-6 months.

So there you have it. A mundane, random post about the healthcare needs of a 50 year old woman. Just what you were hoping for, yes?

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep it Real (and stay up to date with your own health needs).


No comments:

Post a Comment