Tuesday, August 3, 2021

I'm Diggin' The Rabbit hOle

Life-size replica of the bus in Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Pena

I'm super excited about The Rabbit hOle, the world's first explor-a-storium, coming to fruition in Kansas City. It's going to be a a big 'ol celebration of 100 years of children's literature in interactive life-size form! I cannot wait! The museum is under construction right now, with an opening date scheduled for 2022. I got a behind-the-scenes peek a few weeks back, and it was a-MAZE-ing! I had the silliest grin on my face the entire tour I could envision myself working in every area (except the fabrication shop). 

The space is perfect, and the exhibits are fantastical in their form and fun. They made a life-size replica of the bus in Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Pena. You can RIDE on it! And, it TRAVELS to events!  But The Rabbig hOle is so much more than exhibits. There's a bookstore and a writer's workshop area and a printing press and a craft area and a cafe. Plus, they plan to hose authors from around the country for presentations and author-in-resident stints. 

I've been thinking a lot lately about what excites me, what sparks my creativity, what I'm passionate about. My heart always comes back to books, reading and literacy.  When I left the classroom, I thought that passion died. I've realized it's still there. I just to give myself some time and space to realize it. I've been looking for ways to get more involved, and I think this will be one tremendous avenue. The most recent newsletter finally had an all-call for volunteers, and I jumped on the opportunity. 


Yes, I'm obsessed! 

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing ... Keep It Real.

No comments:

Post a Comment